Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life (SEEL)
The Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life (SEEL) are powerful prayer exercises in the form of one-hour personal daily prayer, monthly group meetings, and individual meetings with an assigned director. SEEL closely follows the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola and is affiliated with the Oregon Province of the Jesuits. With trained lay spiritual directors from the Roman Catholic tradition SEEL offers:
- An opportunity to share your spiritual life with a trained director.
- New and/or deeper prayer methods
- A deeper understanding of discernment
- A group that supports and shares with you
Each retreat participant is asked to commit to the following:
- Write the story of your journey towards God
- Spend an hour daily in personal prayer for 7 months (after the Preparation Days Retreat is finished)
- Be willing to discuss your prayer life, feelings, values, and deep desires with your director at least one hour every two weeks
- Attend two hour monthly meetings with other participants
- Keep a journal of your prayer exercises
- Be willing to fully commit nine months (september through May) to the retreat. (This may require setting aside other commitments)
SEEL begins with a five-week prayer experience called the Preparation Days Retreat. Participants are asked to pray for 15 or more minutes a day with scriptures provided. The Prep Days Retreat includes weekly meetings with guided meditations and short presentations on Ignatian spirituality, group spiritual direction at the weekly meetings, and individual daily prayer. There is no requirement for a person making the Prep Days Retreat to continue to the full Exercises; however the Prep Days Retreat is a pre-requisite for anyone wanting to make the full, nine-month Spiritual Exercises.
Visit the website at http://spiritual-exercises.com/